Marymount is deeply committed to students' wellbeing not just for academic success but as individuals. Al students are assigned to homeroom teachers who look after them and are their first point of contact.
The Headmistress, Elementary and Secondary School Principal, Middle School and Early Childhood Coordinators as well as the School's Psychologists are always available to listen to students' needs in order to provide the necessary support.
As part of the comprehensive educational experience at Marymount, school psychologists are available to discuss with students issues related to academic planning and progress as well as personal and social development.
Occasionally, it is appropriate to conduct follow up with the students individually or in small groups in one or more areas. Our school policy is to notify parents and obtain written permission for counseling that extends beyond one visit in a school year or is planned on a regular basis.
The school psychologist addresses the following:
Learning issues, behavioral problems and substance abuse situations.
Student and family counseling in areas that affect school performance.
Assessment of students as an outcome of the Student Study Team to best maximize their learning potential.
Way to improve teaching, learning and socialization.
Consultation with other faculty to provide the best learning environment for students.
Middle School Pastoral Care Program
In order to support the positive transition from Elementary School, particular attention is given to Middle School students through a daily Pastoral Care program.
The students are encouraged and given the opportunity to meet in small groups with an advisor in the following way:
- Daily check in from 8:20 a.m. for 15 minutes with their assigned faculty advisor.
- Speak to their advisor about the day and how well they feel prepared for their classes.
- Advisors check the students' schedules and verify that the students are organized for the morning classes and the day ahead.
- Advisors remind the students to confirm they have all the materials necessary for the first two classes.
- Students are reminded of the importance of the School's dress code and are urged to always respect Marymount's uniform policy.
- Advisors remind students to look over their schedules to ensure that they have everything they need for their homework assignments.
- Every afternoon at 3:22 p.m. students end the day by meeting with their advisor.
Every twelve days, the Middle School student groups meet for a longer period of time with their advisor in order to focus more in-depth on issues relating to academic planning and progress as well as personal and social development in an open and trusting environment. Students also have the possibility to conference and talk individually with their advisor.